For your safety and convenience, we recommend that you exercise caution (as you would in any part of the world). Do not bring large amounts of cash (the city and the larger towns have ATMs) or expensive jewelry. The Ecuadorian Chamber of Tourism recommends:
- Use only the authorized taxis from the hotel taxi stand, and those that are clearly identified.
- Never leave your personal belongings unattended.
- Always carry a photocopy of your passport, showing your photograph and the date you entered the country. Leave the original in the safety deposit box of the hotel.
- Keep your airline ticket, important documents, and cash and travelers checks in the hotel safety box.
- Don’t wear valuable jewelry and carry only the amount of money you’ll need for each day.
- Guard valuable items you are carrying, such as cameras and video cameras. Put your wallet in your front pocket and carry your purse crosswise, especially when visiting the markets.