This is one of our NEW big adventures. Embark on an expedition on an ancient trail over magnificent mountain passes and views of an enormous, mystical snow-capped range. Mount Salkantay is a powerful “Apu” – a mountain spirit in Andean mythology and a female deity who protects the local Quechua. ‘Salkantay’ literally translates as ‘who cannot be tamed’ or ‘wild one.’ The Salkantay Route is known as the backroad to Machu Picchu traversing across a high plateau amidst the mountain range and then drops freely to the bottom of a lush jungle valley. This is an expedition designed for active travelers craving a road less travelled to Machu Picchu.
With EcoAmerica Tours you will get a complete experience, from greeting you at the Lima airport on your arrival day, to allowing time to adjust to the altitude in Cusco, to an overnight in Aguas Calientes and a guided visit the Machu Picchu citadel, to transferring you to the Cusco airport on your 8th day. Most of the essentials are included so you can budget your adventure during your planning stages. We look forward to showing you a fantastic time, and remember BOOK EARLY TO MAKE SURE THERE IS SPACE AVAILABLE.
Available for a minimum of two guests – * Private Expeditions are available on request and may operate any day of the week. There are limited spaces at the Camp Sites, and they are controlled by the Peruvian National Park System. We strongly recommend advanced reservations to ensure availability.
AVAILABLE FOR SATURDAY ARRIVALS IN LIMA THROUGH DEC 28, 2020
Basic Package Includes:
- Meet and greet service at the Lima airport.
- One night hotel accommodations in Lima at the Costa Sol Airport Hotel or best available.
- Meet and greet service at the Cusco Airport.
- Transfer to your Cusco Hotel.
- Three Nights at Costa del Sol Hotel in Cusco or best available.
- One Night in Machu Picchu at El Mapi Hotel or best available.
- Shuttle Bus Tickets to Machu Picchu.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Expedition Class Train Service Aguas Calientes / Machu Picchu to Ollantaytambo.
- Arrival transfer from Ollantaytambo Train Station to your Cusco hotel.
- Departure transfer from your Cusco hotel to the Cusco airport.
- Meals as indicated B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner.
- Services of Spanish / English speaking guides.
- Personalized service of our Peru-based partners.
Salkantay Expedition to Machu Picchu Included Features:
- Pre-departure briefing on Day 2.
- On Day 3 Departure from your Cusco hotel in the morning and transfer in private transport to starting point of the expedition.
- Camping for two nights.
- Sleeping bags.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs.
- Kitchen tent.
- English speaking professional and official guide services.
- Chef and cooking equipment.
- Porters (to carry tents, food, and cooking equipment).
- Accommodation for all our staff.
- Others: hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes / boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning and night, and at lunch time if requested with enough time ahead.
- First-aid kit and Oxygen.
Expedition Does Not Include:
- Visit to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes.
- Tips to Guides and Porters.
- Porters to carry personal gear (available at extra cost- $110.00 net).
- Walking stick (available at extra cost $18.00 net).
- Personal / single Tent.
Day 1 Saturday | Welcome to Lima, Peru!
Meet & greet service at the Liam airport. Assistance with check-in at the Wyndham Airport Hotel. Overnight stay with breakfast.
Day 2 Sunday | Lima to Cusco, let the adventure begin! | B.
One of our Lima-based representatives will assist you at the airport to check-in for your flight to Cusco (airfare is not included). Welcome to the Andes! On arrival at the Cusco airport you will be greeted and transferred to the Costa del Sol hotel for an overnight stay with breakfast included. Balance of the day is at leisure to get acclimatized to the altitude. At the pre-arranged time, your guide will brief you about the route, weather, meals and everything related to the Salkantay Expedition to Machu Picchu.
Day 3 Monday | Cusco / Salkantay Pass / Wayracmachay / Andenes – Camping | B.L.D.
After an early breakfast, we pick you up from your hotel and leave the city of Cusco in the morning. On the route we take a short break in Mollepata before ascending a winding mountain road to a place called Soraypampa (12,690 ft.) Here, we meet our emergency horse and begin the trek toward Salkantay Pass 4,638 m. (15,213 ft.). At the pass we stop enjoy the views of snowcapped peaks of the Vilcabamba Mountain Range in every direction, with the glaciated south face of Salkantay towering above us where Andean condors can be seen. From the pass we descend towards Wayracmachay to enjoy our lunch and then continue descending along the left bank of the Salkantay River. Observe the landscape become increasingly green, changing from highland to jungle or cloud forest. Feel the warm air rising from the jungle, accompanied by colorful butterflies and striking orchids, while arriving to the second camp at Andenes (9,481 ft.), a beautiful spot surrounded with vegetation.
Day 4 Tuesday | Santa Teresa River Valley / Andenes / Lucmabamba Camping | B.L.D.
Today, we will walk along the valley of the Santa Teresa River and through some lush areas abundant with banana, granadilla, avocado, and coffee plantations. Lunch will be served on the way. Afterwards, we will walk for approximately two hours to meet our private vehicle which will take us to the beginning of the Inca Trail. From this point we will head towards the last camp in Lucmabamba. In the evening we will enjoy a coffee demonstration and tasting thanks to a local family who will be our host. Dinner will be served and we will spend the night in the camp.
Day 5 Wednesday | Llactapata Pass / Viewing the Machu Picchu Citadel from the Southeast / Aguas Calientes – Hotel Accommodations | B.L.D.
After breakfast, we will head uphill for 2-3 hours towards Llactapata Pass (8,974 ft.) and descend to the archaeological complex of the same name. Besides, we will enjoy a distant but spectacular view of Machu Picchu Sanctuary from the southeast, a view few travelers get the chance to admire. Lunch is served in a scenic viewpoint, looking out to Machu Picchu. After that, begin the final descent to the Aobamba River through lush bamboo forests, orchards, and coffee plantations. Finally we will get to the Hydroelectric Power Station, to board the train to Aguas Calientes /Machu Picchu to enjoy a delicious lunch at Cafe Inkaterra. Overnight stay and dinner at the El Mapi Hotel.
Day 6 Thursday | Guided visit of Machu Picchu / Ollantaytambo / Cusco – Hotel Accommodations | B.L.
After an early breakfast, we make our way to the bus station for the ride up to Machu Picchu. The guided tour of the sanctuary lasts two hours and at the end, you will enjoy some free time to explore the place at your leisure, or simply relax and meditate. We will return by bus to Aguas Calientes for lunch and board the train to Ollantaytambo. From this point, a private vehicle will drive us back to Cusco and you will be transferred to the Costa del Sol Hotel for a two night stay with breakfast included. You arrival to Cusco will be between a 7:00 & 8:00 PM after having experienced a maximum altitude of 4,650 mts., and walked a distance of 40 kms – 24,85 miles; yes you did it!
Day 7 Friday | Cusco at leisure | B.
Enjoy the day to explore this beautiful city at your own pace, or partake on additional optional explorations.
Day 8 Saturday | Cusco / Lima / Home | B.
Enjoy a pleasant breakfast at the hotel. At the appropriate time, you will be transferred to the Cusco airport for your onward flight (airfare is not included).
PRICES PER PERSON IN US$ – FOR SCHEDULED SHARED GROUP
MINIMUM TWO GUESTS REQUIRED
AVAILABLE FOR SATURDAY ARRIVALS IN LIMA THROUGH DEC 28, 2020
WITH EXPEDITION CLASS TRAIN
|$1,699.00 Double Basis | $2,257.00 Single Basis|
In Lima: Wyndham Costa del Sol Airport is conveniently connected to the Jorge Chavéz International Airport, with easy access to all of Lima’s many cultural and historic wonders and a wealth of upscale services and amenities designed for discerning travelers. The Wyndham Costa del Sol Lima Airport is the premier upscale international hotel in Peru’s capital city. This Lima Airport hotel is perfect for those in transit, with the unparalleled ability to walk to or from your flight within minutes of the front door – and 24-hour dining options, they have endeavored to deliver round-the-clock service in a world where round-the-clock is the norm. Wyndham Costa Del Sol Lima Airport has a full-service spa, an indoor pool, and a spa tub. Complimentary wireless Internet access is available in public areas and a computer station is located on site. This spa hotel offers a restaurant, a coffee shop/café, and a bar/lounge. Additional amenities include spa services, fitness center, and steam room.
In Cusco: Costa del Sol Ramada Hotel is the perfect base for discovering the beautiful heritage of the Inca civilization. Located in Cusco’s Centro Historico, the hotel is housed in a 17th-century colonial mansion combining historical architecture and murals with all the comforts of a modern, contemporary hotel. The 90 guest rooms are well-appointed with free high-speed Wi-Fi, cable TV, telephone, safe and mini bar. Delight in the convenience of around the clock room service. Refresh yourself in the pool or step into the warmth of their jetted hot tub. Get energized with a visit to their onsite fitness center. In the afternoon, read a book in the peaceful comfort of the hotel’s courtyard or enjoy a special vintage wine from their wine cellar. Discover the magnificent beauty of this historic colonial mansion when you choose Costa del Ramada Hotel.
In Machu Picchu / Aguas Calientes: El Mapi is a smart and contemporary hotel situated in the commercial village of Aguas Calientes, where you can admire and interact with the local residents and get a different perspective. The hotel is efficient, lively and people friendly; it welcomes a wide range of guests who expect an uncomplicated visit. You will be enlightened when you visit Peru’s most distinguished destination, the Machu Picchu Archaeological site. The hotel rooms are equipped with blackout curtains, 100% cotton sheets, down duvets, hypoallergenic pillows, cotton bath robes, and 32″ flat screen TVs. Step into the smart, contemporary and cozy confines of El MaPi, amidst the picturesque Machu Picchu Pueblo. The flowing lobby creates a sense of vitality. Lofty ceilings, panoramic windows and an open café allow natural light to filter between tall eucalyptus, creating an ambience of order and wellbeing.
- Prices are subject to change without previous notice.
- Campsites may be different to those mentioned above as they are controlled by the Peruvian authorities; all treks will be provided.
- The prices do not include: personal expenses, travel insurance additional activities, international and local airfares as well as airports departure taxes, gratuities to guides, drivers, porters, bell and wait staff; or any other item not listed above.
- Meal Codes: B = Breakfast. L = Lunch. D = Dinner.
- All tour services are SIC share basis.
- Deposit: A $600.00 deposit per person is required to activate your reservation.
- Final Payment: The balance is due 65 days prior to the start of your tour. If full final payment has not been received by the due date, EcoAmerica Tours reserve the right to cancel the reservation without notice.
- Method of Payment: For your convenience, we accept major credit cards (filling out our Credit Card Authorization Form), checks, and PayPal.
- Travel Protection Plan: Travel insurance is a great way to protect your travel investment. By choosing to offer travel insurance, your travel agent is providing you a financial safety net for most unforeseen travel inconveniences. Allianz Travel Insurance plans have been created to suit most any traveler’s coverage needs. For your peace of mind, we strongly suggest you to purchase travel insurance. For more information, please visit: Allianz Global Assistance or contact us for a personalized quote.
EcoAmerica Tours, LLC. and/or any of its agents will not claim any responsibility for injury, damage, loss, additional expenses, accidental delay or other irregularities which may be caused either through willful or negligent acts or omissions on the part of companies or individuals providing or engaged in transportation, accommodations or other services related to the execution of the tour, or through natural calamities and other factors beyond its control. Prices are subject to adjustment in the event of any change, without notice. EcoAmerica Tours, LLC reserves the right to change any tour if considered necessary in order to render better service to its clients.
Working with EcoAmerica Tours means being involved in a different way of doing tourism; and of course, it comes with the following advantages:
- Over two decades leading the tourism industry in Latin America.
- Regional coverage and exclusive tailor-made programs.
- Fast, friendly, and efficient response to your requirements.
- Always available: emergency line and operational offices 24H/7D.
- We care about your passengers: EcoAmerica Assistance Network.
- Top guides and the best transportation quality.
- Quality Control Department: care to passengers’ voice.
- Top Producer and great relationship with key suppliers.
- Positive impact of our operations at all levels.